This creamy Brown Butter Penne all Vodka is a rich, creamy sauce that starts with nutty brown butter and tastes just as good with vodka, as it does without it. (use the scale button below to change it to more servings)
- 8 oz penne pasta (or rigatoni)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 3–4 tbsp vodka (optional)
- 1 shallot or 1/2 onion, finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano or parmesan cheese
- In a pot, bring water to boil. Once it’s boiling, add your pasta for 7-8 minutes. Once it’s cooked, drain and save the pasta water! Move onto the next step as the water is coming to a boil.
- To a saucepan, add the butter. Melt on low heat until completely melted and then increase to medium heat. Stir until brown bits start to appear and the color of the butter turns golden.
- Add in the shallots/onion, garlic and red chili flakes. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion gets soft. then, add the tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes until the tomato paste darkens to a dark red-brown color. Add the vodka if you want to use it and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the heavy cream and stir well to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Taste and add salt and extra red chili flakes to taste. Stir in the grated cheese and add 1-2 tbsp of the saved pasta from before to make the sauce smooth. Add in the cooked pasta, stir to combine and serve!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me @eatsbyramya or DM me a picture & let me know how it went!