Indulge in the ultimate comfort food with this Caramelized Onion Baked Mac and Cheese. It’s creamy, cheesy, and irresistible – the perfect elevated mac and cheese recipe!
- 1 lb dry macaroni (cooked)
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Mac & Cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, freshly grated (room temp)
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, freshly grated (room temp)
- 1/2 cup Velveeta (optional, helps smoothness of sauce)
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Boil your macaroni according to the package to al dente will you make the sauce. Strain once cooked and set aside.
- To a large, heavy bottomed saucepan add the butter and melt it. Then, add in your finely chopped white onion and salt. Mix well and cook on medium-high heat. Stir occasional until it’s a golden brown.
- Add in the thyme, sugar and balsamic vinegar. Cook on medium heat, stirring often as it will start to caramelise the onions. It’s ready once it smells sweet and turns and amber-brown color.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Then, add in the flour and mix it really well (this is called the “roux”). It’s gonna get really thick like a paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes (this is important for texture)
- Now add in 3 cups of milk, stirring as you add it and let it thicken like a sauce. Then, add in the half and half, black pepper and paprika. Heat on medium heat until everything thicken and bubbles. Taste and add salt to taste.
- Lower the stove to a LOW HEAT. Whisk in one cup of cheese at a time until completely melted. If it gets thick, don’t worry you’re on the right track!
- Turn off the heat immediately after cheese is melted, add in the cooked macaroni pasta and stir well.
- Mix the panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into an oven safe dish. Top geneously with the panko breadcrumb mixture.
- Once the the Mac and cheese is done baking, let it sit for 5 minutes before digging in!!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Pasta