These quick and simple Indian Chicken Chapli burgers are made with a spicy, juicy chicken patty, herby sauce, feta cheese and crunchy veggies! Perfect for meal prep or a quick dinner!
Why You’ll Love these Indian Chicken Burgers
- It’s healthy, but doesn’t skimp on flavor. These protein rich, spicy chicken patties are made with whole ingredients and flavoured with bold spices like cumin and garam masala to pack a punch.
- It’s SO easy to make. This best thing about this recipe is how simple it is to whip up. All you need to do is mix up some ground chicken, spices and herbs, then shape it into patties and cook! To make it even easier, you can skip the pan and bake these.
What is Chicken Chapli?
Chicken chapli kebabs are a popular pan-fried chicken kebab in Pakistani and India. There’s a couple of different varieties of this recipe out there but the one thing the all have in common is that they are DELICIOUS. Even traditionally, chicken chapel kebabs are shaped like a patty, making them the ideal addition to a great spicy, masala chicken burger.
What You Need to Make The Patties
These Chicken Chapli patties are many things, but bland is not one of them. With just a few super common ingredients, it packs a lot of punch! Here’s what you’ll need to make it :
- Lean Ground Chicken : this chicken patty uses ground chicken instead of a chicken cut so we can get the flavor into every crevice of the chicken rather than just the outside.
- Ginger & Garlic : I highly recommend using fresh ginger and garlic, if possible
- Spices : we’re using garam masala, salt, cumin and garam masala to spice these up!
- Fresh Herbs : for the herbs in this recipe, you’re going to need either fresh mint of cilantro. I would recommend fresh mint but if you don’t have it on hand, cilantro will work too!
- Fresh Green Chilies : these patties are meant to me spicy and nothing beats the spice of some raw chilies you get when you bite into your burger. If you can’t handle spice definitely leave these out.
Tips for Making Chicken Patties from Scratch
- Apply gentle pressure in the center of each patty using your thumb. This technique promotes even cooking and prevents shrinkage as the chicken cooks.
- Do NOT overmix – longer is not better! Overmixing can result in tough and chewy burgers.
- Mix the patties together using your hands. Although it may get a bit messy, this method makes all the ingredients of the patty marry together really well.
How to Meal Prep Chicken Patties
I’m all about having a stash of burgers in my freezer for those nights when I’m too busy to cook. If you want to go all out, just make a double batch! You can either freezer them raw or cooked.
If you have time to thaw, freeze raw :
- Place your uncooked burgers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and pop them in the freezer for an hour.
- Once they’re firm, toss them into a zip-top bag and make sure to label it.
- When you want, just thaw the bag in the fridge overnight and cook ’em up as directed.
If you want a quick reheat option :
- Cook all your patties according to the instructions.
- Stack the cooked chicken patties with parchment sheets in between and place them in a container. Store them in the fridge for up to 5 days, reheat as you eat!
These quick and simple Chicken Chapli burgers are made with a spicy, juicy chicken patty, herby sauce, feta cheese and crunchy veggies! Perfect for meal prep or a quick dinner!
For the Chicken Patty
- 1 tbsp oil, for cooking
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1 small red onion, minced
- Handful of fresh mint or cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced or grated
- 1–2 tsp ginger, minced or grated
- 2–3 green chili, finely minced (optional)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1–3 tsp red chili powder (or cayenne to preference)
- 3/4 tsp cumin powder
For the Sauce
- 1.5 cups nonfat greek yogurt
- 6 tbsp pickled jalapeno, minced
- 2/3 cup fresh mint or cilantro
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of Salt
For the Burgers
- 6 Burger Buns
- Sliced Red Onion
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Feta Cheese, crumbled
- Make the patty mixture : To a bowl, add the ground chicken use your hands to mash it into a smooth paste. Add the minced onion, mint/cilantro, ginger, garlic, green chili, garam masala, salt, red chili powder and cumin powder. Mix well to combine.
- Chill the mixture in the freezer or fridge for 5 minutes while you make the sauce.
- To make the sauce, blend all the ingredients under “for the sauce”. If you don’t have a blender, finely mince everything and combine. Adjust salt and cumin to taste.
- Shape the chicken mixture into 6 patties. Make sure your hands are wet to make it easier to shape and press down in the middle of the patty with your thumb so it cooks evenly without shrinking.
- Brush 1 tbsp oil on a hot non-stick skillet or saucepan and place your chicken patties. Cook the chicken patties for 6-8 minutes on each size, or until completely cooked through.
- Assemble your burgers by toasting the buns, layer on the sauce, patties, onions, tomato and feta cheese.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15