These virgin frozen watermelon margaritas are a delicious blend of frozen watermelon, lime juice, club soda, lime juice, sweetener and mint! You won’t even miss the alcohol, but if you do want to turn it into a margarita, it’s also super simple.
What You Need to Make a Watermelon Slushie
- Frozen Watermelon: find yourself a juicy, flavorful, in-season watermelon to perfect this recipe, cut it up and freeze it for that frozen creaminess!
- Club Soda: Pick your choice of base for the drink. I prefer a club soda but you can substitute it for coconut water, sparkling water, or even kombucha.
- Lime Juice : this adds that margarita vibe to your slushie
- Sweetener: just a little bit to add some sweetness!
- Fresh Mint : the refreshing mint adds a cooling aftertaste
Watermelon is perfect for the summer
Sweet and juicy watermelon is the perfect treat to quench your thirst in the summer heat. Watermelon is made up of 92% water which makes it a great choice for days when you need to stay hydrated. It is also very low in calories which will help you maintain a calorie deficit while also keeping you feeling full for longer. Watermelon is a great source of nutrients such as Vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants as well. The red fleshy part is packed with a nutrient called lycopene which is shown by research to prevent various cancers. It even helps with bloating! Watermelon is a diuretic that doesn’t harm the kidneys so it’s the perfect solution to bloating.
how to make a slushie
This has to be one of the simplest recipes ever. In a short 2 steps, you have the perfect refreshing summer drink ready to enjoy. Here’s a short summary:
- Cut up the watermelon and freeze it. It might seem like an extra necessary step, but this makes the slushie a lot more flavourful than using ice cubes (which water it down)
- Blend the frozen watermelon, a splash of club soda, mint leaves and honey until it’s smooth. You can adjust the sweetness to taste by adding more and blending as needed. Tip : Blend on high for best results!
That’s it. It’s as simple as 1,2, not even 3. Pour into glasses and head on over to the poolside to sip and relax!
Tips for success
Here are a few secrets from my test kitchen to help take your drink up a notch 😉
- If the consistency of your slushie is too thin, add in just a little bit of ice or more frozen watermelon and blend. If it’s too thick, add a splash of club soda or water to thin it down.
- To make the most of this drink, serve it ASAP. You could even freeze any leftovers and add it back to the blender with some club soda later on!
There are so many different things you can add to this recipe to make it even better than it already is.
- For starters, swap out the plain water for something a little more interesting like sparkling water or kombucha. This is the best way to customize your drink to your preferences!
- For a little bit of a different flavor, you can swap the fresh mint for fresh basil!
- If you want to spike the slushie, blend in vodka or rum for a refreshing cocktail.
- Make a salted rim for your glass to get the ultimate margarita combo!
- Blending in a dash of mint into the drink will enhance the flavor with a slight mintiness that you will LOVE!
MAKE IT A MARGARITA : For each serving, add 2 oz tequila and 1 oz triple sec to the blender.Print
Frozen Watermelon Slushie
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 Drinks 1x
These virgin frozen watermelon margaritas are a delicious blend of frozen watermelon, lime juice, club soda, sweetener and mint!
- 3 cups watermelon, cubed & frozen
- 1/2 cup club soda
- Juice of 2 Limes
- 2 Mint Leaves, optional
- 2 tsp sweetener, optional
- 1 cup ice, optional
- Make sure to use frozen watermelon for this recipe. I usually just cut it up and place it on a baking tray in the freezer for 1-2 hours! You can also freeze a large batch overnight and use it as you want.
- Add the mint leaves, 1/4 cup club soda and lime juice to a blender and blend. Then add a little bit of frozen watermelon at a time and blend. If you ever reach a point where the blender is unable to break down the watermelon, it is probably because there is not enough liquid so add a little bit of club soda at a time. For this recipe, you just have to eyeball it until the consistency is icy but also drinkable!
- Taste the drink. If you are using in-season ripe watermelon you probably don’t need additional sweetener. If it’s not sweet enough, add more watermelon or sweetener. If you would like to make it into a boozy margarita, add in 2 oz tequila and 1 oz of Cointreau Triple Sec now. Give it one last blend and pour into glasses!
Make sure to take a picture & tag me @eatsbyramya to be featured! Enjoy 🙂
- Cook Time: 5 minutes