Are you Vegan or Vegetarian? Try this Vegan Halal Cart “Chicken” over Rice instead!
This is one of the tastiest chicken recipes I have made. The flavors are distinct between chicken, sauce and rice but they marry so well together. ~Danika ★★★★★
Halal Carts are probably the best thing about New York City – for me at least. Sadly, I live a good hour away in the Jersey Suburbs, so it’s not something I get to eat often. When I woke up yesterday, craving some yummy chicken over rice, I knew the only way to satisfy my craving was to make it from scratch. This healthy recipe is simple to follow and perfect for one to two people.
As much as I love the chicken over rice in New York, I’m not a huge fan of how I feel after the meal. I personally find that greasy meals make me feel less energetic and aren’t too great for my digestive system. So, in true EatsByRamya fashion, this recipe is a healthy spin on one of the best street foods New York City has to offer with a whopping 40 grams of Protein! It’s also lighter on the calories – Halal Guys (800+ calories depending on how much chicken they put on the platter and how much white sauce you get) versus My Recipe (594 calories with the White Sauce).
Marinating The Chicken
Marinating your chicken, even if it’s just for an hour or two, infuses flavor deep into the chicken, rather than just coating flavor on the outside. The marinade also tenderizes the chicken by breaking down the proteins. This improves the texture of the chicken by keeping it juicy as it cooks. For this marinade, you’ll need:
- Minced Garlic
- Lemon Juice
- Greek Yogurt
- Lots of Spices
Fluffy Yellow Rice
There are many possible ways to cook rice, but for this recipe we will be doing it stovetop. Different halal carts make yellow rice differently, so this recipe will be a very basic one. My favorite type of rice to use for this is long grain basmati rice because that is what is commonly used at Halal Carts and results in the best texture. If you don’t have basmati rice readily available, you can use any other rice in its place!
The simplest part of this dish is the white sauce. Just add some light mayo, greek yogurt, lemon juice and parsley to a bowl with a pinch of salt and mix! I don’t have a red sauce recipe, but here’s one that I found on the internet that you might want to take a stab at.
Making This For More Than One Person?
It’s super easy – just multiply the measurements by the number of people you are cooking for! This recipe doubles and quadruples perfectly.Print
Halal Cart Style flavorful, marinated chicken over fluffy yellow rice topped with the famous, creamy white sauce – all made from scratch!
- 1 Chicken Thigh, boneless, skinless
- ½ tsp olive oil
For the Marinade
- 2 tsp garlic, very finely minced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp nonfat greek yogurt or plain yogurt
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ⅛ tsp cumin powder
- ⅛ tsp garam masala or allspice
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
For the Yellow Rice
- ⅓ cup long grain basmati rice (the rice is white until you add turmeric)
- ⅔ cup Chicken Broth (or Water)
- 1 tsp butter
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
For the White Sauce (makes ¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp light mayo
- 2 tbsp nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp vinegar, optional
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Lettuce, shredded
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Marinating the Chicken: Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. To a bowl, add the chicken and all the marinade ingredients. Mix well and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Making the White Sauce: Mix together all the white sauce ingredients and refrigerate. If the sauce is too thick, keep adding 1-2 tsp of water and mix until it is a more drizzlable consistency.
- Cooking the Rice: To a small pot or saucepan, add the butter and let it melt. Add in the turmeric, salt and cumin. Toast for 1 minute, then add the rice. Saute for 1-2 minutes or until the rice slightly browns. Add in the salt and broth(or water). Bring everything to a boil, then immediately cover with a lid and bring the heat to low. Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- Cooking the Chicken: While the rice cooks, cook the chicken. Place a small pan on the stove and let it get hot. Add 1/2 tsp oil and chicken, then cook for 2-3 minutes on one side and flip. Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip again. Keep repeating until chicken is completely cooked.
- Plating the Platter: First, spread the rice out on your plate. Then add the chicken to one side and the lettuce & tomato to the other side. Drizzle the white sauce generously over the platter and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 Min
- Marinating Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 30 Min
- Category: Copycat Recipes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 574
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 353.1mg
- Carbohydrates: 48.8g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Protein: 38.8g
- Cholesterol: 153.2mg