Homemade hot honey infused with spicy green chili peppers, tangy Indian chaat masala and cinnamon! Drizzle it over fresh berries or use it as a sauce too coat chicken wings.
There’s so much to love about hot honey – it’s literally pure liquid gold in a jar! The honey has a spicy kick of heat from peppers which gives you a unique sweet and spicy combo that you’ll never want to stop making. You can add it to ANYTHING! Drizzle it onto your pizza, fried chicken, cheese board, even into your favorite tea. The possibilities are endless! This Indian Homemade Hot Honey is sure to become a staple in my house!
Another great way to use it is to gift it. I don’t know about you, but a jar of Hot Honey would be the perfect Christmas present for me! The best Hot Honey is the homemade kind, though. You can customize the spiciness to your liking along with the addition of some of your favorite spices and personalization. If you’re more of a milder heat kind of person, you can stick to something less extreme like jalapeno peppers. If you’re like me and looove an extra kick of heat, use Thai Chili Peppers or Serrano Peppers.
How To Make Homemade Hot Honey
The process to make Hot Honey at home really isn’t much of a hassle. Bring the honey and your choice of peppers to a simmer and then stir in some apple cider vinegar. The vinegar will add another dimension to the recipe by bringing some tanginess to the sweet-and-spicy combo. Let it cool down and pour into a container for storage. You can either strain out the pepper/flakes or leave them in the honey. Storing them with the flakes will allow it to get increasingly spicy the longer you store it!
An Indian Twist
Hot Honey is an exhilarating experience because of the contrasting sweet and spicy flavor in each bite. The marriage of conflicting flavor profiles to create a delicious experience is common in Indian cuisine. A common flavor in India known as chatpata is a mix of sweet, sour, and spicy. This perfect combo enhances dishes made throughout India. For this recipe, we take some inspiration from the chatpata flavor to create a unique Indian Hot Honey recipe. There are three components to this recipe that make it truly unique:
- Hari Mirch (aka Thai Chili Peppers): this is a common pepper used in Indian cooking that packs a stronger punch than red chili flakes and take the spice level up a notch!
- Chaat Masala: This is what brings home the “Chatpata” flavor to the recipe. It adds a complimentary tangy flavor to the sweet and spicy honey, making it a true party for your taste buds.
- Cinnamon: The addition of a cinnamon stick to this concoction will help enhance the flavor of the honey. Whole cinnamon sticks are a common spice that is added to Indian recipes that add more depth of flavor!
How To Use This Indian Hot Honey
- Drizzle it over your favorite chopped fruit
- Brush it over Chicken Tenders
- Shake it into cocktails – like a spicy margarita
- Add it to you Charcuterie Board
- Drizzle it over Overnight Oats
- Use it in the place of regular honey!
Homemade Hot Honey infused with spicy green chili peppers, tangy Indian chaat masala and cinnamon!
- 1 cup honey (plus 1/2 cup set aside for the end)
- 5 Indian Green Chilies (Thai Chili Peppers)
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala
- 1 Whole Cinnamon Stick (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from the stovetop and cool to room temperature.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and add in 1/2 cup honey. Stir, pour into a glass container with an airtight lid and store in a cool place.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes