The only thing better than a single serve dessert is one that doesn’t require an oven or a stove. This single serving microwave apple crisp is perfect for a quick no bake fall dessert when you’re short on time. It’s also perfect for small apartments and dorm rooms!
Why I love single serve desserts
Single-serve desserts are super popular for good reason – they satisfy those dessert cravings quickly and efficiently! In my mind, anything single serve is also just is faster to make (to an extent but not always). I mean would you rather bake a whole batch of brownies or just pop a chocolate mug cake in the microwave and have it ready in 20 minutes? Single-serve desserts are also a great way for me to eat what I am feeling like in the moment without committing to eating it again for the next 5 days to finish it. It especially helps me with portion control.
What You Need to make this Apple Crisp
This apple crisp is the perfect dessert for a cold fall day! Most of the ingredients can be found in your pantry and those that you can’t are readily available in local grocery stores. If you’re going apple picking this fall, be sure to use those fresh apples for this recipe! This recipe is definitely getting me super excited for the fall. The best part is how short and simple the ingredients list is!
- One Apple : to make this single serving, you’ll need a single app. You can easily scale up by using the scaling feature on the recipe card! Feel free to use whatever apple you have on hand for this.
- Cornstarch + water : this is essential for that apple pie filling texture
- Rolled Oats
- Brown Sugar or Maple Syrup for sweeteness
- Just a little butter to create a golden, delicious top
Step by Step
This recipe is as simple to make as it is delicious! The plus side to making this for only one person is you get to eat it in the same dish you make it in. The simplicity of this recipe helps protect your kitchen from the mess that is usually associated with baking. Here’s a quick step by step:
- Mix up your sliced apples, light brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Then toss the mixture into the baking dish.
- Use flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon to make the crumbly topping. Pour some melted butter into it for the crumbly texture. (Tip: Use your hands to mix very well!)
- Sprinkle the topping over the apple mixture.
- Pop it into the oven for anywhere from a half hour to an hour. This will leave you with soft apples and a crunchy top!
- Allow to cool and then serve!
What Kind of Apples Should I Use?
The type of apple you use depends on what you have available or prefer to eat, but a general rule of thumb for this recipe should be to avoid apples that will turn to mush when baked and are overly ripe. You want apples that will hold their shape such as Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, etc. Go with your gut on this one, literally. Pick your favorite kind of apple, even if its not from the list above, and experiment with it to see how it works with this recipe!
Should you peel the apple?
This is absolutely up to you. If you’re a picky eater and don’t like the peel, go ahead and get rid of it. If you think the peel is the best part, you can totally leave it on, too! Both ways work and the only difference would be that you would definitely need to wash the apples with the peels more thoroughly! I personally take the peels off because I don’t like that texture in my crisp.
Single Serve Apple Crisp in the Microwave
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 1 Single Serve Apple Crisp 1x
The only thing better than a single serve dessert is one that doesn’t require an oven or a stove. This single serving microwave apple crisp is perfect for a quick fall dessert when you’re short on time. It’s also perfect for small apartments and dorm rooms!
- 1 medium apple, peeled & chopped up
- 2 tsp maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- Large pinch of cinnamon
- Optional but highly recommended : 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tsp water
- 2 tbsp oats
- 1/2 tsp butter, melted or softened
- 2 tsp brown sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt (you can def skip this)
- Mix up all the ingredients under the “apple filling” in a bowl. If you don’t have cornstarch you can skip it, but I personally like to add it in anytime I make this. I add in 1 tsp cornstarch with 1 tsp water and mix it into the apples to create that sticky apple pie filling texture. Microwave for 30 seconds, use a spoon to mix up and microwave again for 30 seconds. Mix and repeat 2-3 times or until the apples are softened.
- While the apples are microwaving, mix up all the ingredients under “Crumble topping” in a bowl. Then, sprinkle it all over the top of the microwaved apple filling. Microwave for 1 minute and let is sit for at least 1 minute at room temperate before digging in!
Make sure to take a picture and tag me on Instagram @eatsbyramya or DM it to get featured!
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No Bake Dessert
THIS IS SO GOOD!!! Be aware though, it’s so addicting! I can’t tell you how easy this truly is and it always hits the spot! Especially with the cold whether, this has been my go to to make in my college dorm and it’s super minimal ingredients and things needed to make!
Quick and delicious!