Love to get your morning coffee fix but hate the after effects? Try this Coffee & Banana breakfast smoothie that slows down the absorption of caffeine into your system!
Ever wake up in the morning knowing you have a thousand things to cross off your to-do list that day? On those days I fuel myself with this Breakfast Smoothie to give me all the energy and nutrients I need to kickstart my day! For me, eating a healthy breakfast encourages me to make healthier food choices the rest of the day. Subconsciously, the routine of starting your morning right will encourage you to continue feeding your body well throughout the day.
We know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day… but why? Your night-long sleep is basically a very long fast and for some people, out body needs fuel within 60-90 minutes of you waking up. Rather than starving myself until lunch and then eating a lot of food at once, I like to fill up in the mornings to keep my hunger levels at a reasonable level. Trust me, eating a balanced breakfast will give you a great start to your morning and will leave you feeling energized and ready to conquer!
Breaking Down The Ingredients
- Coffee: A great way to incorporate your daily coffee fix into breakfast is by adding it to this delicious smoothie. Adding coffee to a smoothie will slow the absorption of coffee. This causes a more gradual increase in energy rather than a sudden spike and crash, which is what a lot of us deal with every day.
- Bananas: Fruits release energy more rapidly than any other food, which is perfect for a quick boost of energy in the morning. The easy to digest carbs power you up without making you feel lethargic or groggy! Bananas are rich in nutrients like potassium which is very important in replenishing and growing your muscles. They are also loaded with antioxidants that help prevent muscle cramps when working out!
- Chia Seeds: Despite their small size, chia seeds have so many benefits! You can promote your heart and bone health as well as improve your blood sugar management with the help of the plethora of antioxidants, fiber, and various micronutrients found in chia. They will leave you feeling full for a long time and their solubility helps with appetite regulation and weight loss. The best thing about chia seeds is that they taste pretty bland and can easily be incorporated into any recipe, especially this breakfast smoothie.
- Powdered Almond Butter: Almond butter in the powdered form brings the same protein to the table as its traditional counterpart, but it also contains a fraction of the calories. I love to use Barney’s Powdered Almond Butter but you can opt for regular almond butter as well if that is what you prefer!
- Milk: A great way to keep your bones healthy and strong is to up your calcium intake and a great way to do that is by adding milk to your breakfast meal. Milk also increases satiety and leads to a lower calorie intake later in the day, which is why it is such an integral part of this breakfast smoothie!
- Cocoa Powder: Who can say no to a chocolatey addition to any meal? This heavenly combination of coffee and cocoa powder is to die for which is why I can’t resist adding it to this already tasty smoothie.
How To Freeze Bananas
The tasty benefits of adding frozen bananas to your smoothie are never-ending but my favorite part is how creamy and rich they make the smoothie! How does one accomplish this delicious perfection? I’m glad you asked! Peel and slice bananas into 1-inch pieces and then lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Put them in the freezer for 20 minutes and then check to ensure they aren’t sticking to the sheet before freezing them again for 2 hours. Finally, use a spatula to scrape the bananas off the sheet and into a plastic freezer bag for future use.Print
Creamy Coffee and Banana Smoothie to wake you up for the long day ahead!
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp chia seeds or flaxseeds
- 20 grams protein powder (or 2 tbsp powdered almond butter)
- 2 shots espresso or 5 tbsp coffee
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp sweetener of choice, or as needed (I used Monkfruit Sweetener)
- 1–2 cups Ice
- Blend everything except ice until smooth. Add in a little bit of ice at a time until creamy and thick to your liking!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Breakfast