Weeknight Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl for One
vegan and vegetarian swaps for the chicken listed below!
Weeknight Teriyaki Rice Bowl With Your Choice Of Protein And Microwave-Steamed Broccoli Served Over A Bed Of Hearty White Rice.
It’s a no bones day. And thse last thing I want to do on a no bones day is cook an elaborate meal. Some days we cook Halal Cart Style Chicken over Rice from scratch and other days we use jarred marinara sauce over pasta. This Teriyaki Rice Bowl Recipe falls into the jarred marinara sauce category. You can either use storebought teriyaki sauce or whip up a super quick one yourself!
For this recipe, you will need your choice of protein (tofu, chicken, paneer, etc.,), a little bit of oil, red chili flakes, store-bought or homemade teriyaki sauce, and soy sauce. All you have to do is mix up all those ingredients and bake! While that cooks, you can make your white rice and steamed broccoli! And voila – it’s ready!
Why Rice Bowls Are A Great Weeknight Option
Rice bowls are a great way choice for a wholesome, balanced meal that will fill you up! This recipe is 400 calories and 34 grams of protein which makes it a great macro-friendly option for a quick weekday meal. Beyond their nutritional value, rice bowls are super convenient and travel-friendly in case you need a quick lunch option. Rice bowls are a great, healthy combo of carbs, protein and fat making them very hearty.
Creating A Balanced Bowl
There are three main components to this nutritious meal:
- The Grains: You can use your favorite kind of rice, quinoa, or even opt for a no-grain option like cauliflower rice if that’s what you prefer at the moment!
- The Proteins: There are a lot of great options for the protein, and they all go perfectly with this recipe. Although Teriyaki Chicken is most popular, you can swap it out for tofu, paneer, chickpeas, and even salmon! Be sure to experiment with the recipe to see what you prefer.
- Sauces: My favorite sauce to use in this is sriracha but you can also use kewpie mayo or any other one of your favorite sauces.
You can also customize your cooking method! You can cook the chicken (or other protein) either stovetop or oven-baked!
Making It Vegan
This recipe can be easily adapted to fit your dietary needs! If you are vegan, consider swapping the chicken for cubed tofu, tempeh, chickpeas, cauliflower or oyster mushrooms. If you are vegetarian, you could use paneer or any of the vegan suggestions. If you are pescatarian, feel free to use cubed salmon or your favorite fish!
More Weeknight Meals
- Halal Cart Style Chicken Over Rice
- Blistered Tomato & Fresh Basil Pasta
- Spicy Adobo Chicken Tacos
- Lighter Fettuccine Alfredo (No Cream)
Weeknight Teriyaki Rice Bowl with your choice of protein and microwave-steamed broccoli served over a bed of hearty white rice.
- 4 oz Chicken Breast or Tofu, cubed
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce, storebought or see Step One
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
Quick Stovetop White Rice
- ⅓ cup short grain rice (or rice of choice)
- ⅔ cup water
- Pinch of Salt
Microwave Steamed Broccoli
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2–3 tbsp water
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce : For this recipe, you will need either storebought or homemade teriyaki sauce! If you would prefer to make your own teriyaki sauce, here’s what you do. In a bowl, combine 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tbsp mirin, 1 tsp minced ginger, 1 tsp minced ginger, 1 tbsp sake and 1 tsp brown sugar. Pour into a saucepan and cook for 1-2 minutes. In a separate bowl, mix together 1/2 tsp cornstarch and 1 tbsp water. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan. Simmer until it thickens and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. To a bowl, add your chicken or tofu along with the rest of the ingredients under the “Teriyaki Marinade” section. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until completely cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the white rice. Add all the ingredients under the “Quick Stovetop White Rice Section” to a pot. Add a tiny splash of soy sauce for extra flavor! Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low until completely cooked.
- To Steam the Broccoli in the microwave, add the broccoli to a bowl with the water. Cover with a plate that is microwave safe. Microwave for 1-2 minutes. Remove plate and drain.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Single Serve
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: East Asian